Gia - sessions 1326-

 Monday September 28th - I worked with Gia today on her relaxation and rhythm at the walk to start with.  I also focused on my own position and relaxation.  She was a bit distracted today, so we spent more time at the walk.  When the rhythm was there, I had Gia focus on staying straight on a certain path I had in mind.  Basically, I wanted her to stay just inside the track that typically runs around the outside of the arena.  It can be harder than it sounds, because a lot of horses (and riders) find it easier to just stay on the well-trodden path that falls right up against the rail.  But, in order to stay just off the track, you have to use your outside leg to somewhat "block" the horse from "falling" onto that path, which helps to keep them more balanced, and can also help to keep them more focused.  From there, I added circles and changes across the diagonal, on very precise lines.  Along with keeping up with the rhythm, she had a lot to keep her busy, so she quickly started to pay less attention to the outside world, and more attention to me.  When I asked for the trot, it started off well ... at first.  Then she tried to throw in some bucking.  I put a quick end to it, but it was very frustrating, because we both had everything going so well prior to the moment.  The only thing I can think of that may have happened is that because my leg is still in recovery, and not quite strong enough yet, I think if it slips out of place, even a tiny bit, and then my thigh clenches to try to stabilize my body, even a tiny bit, she feels that, and it pisses her off.  So, we had a discussion about how we are both going to make mistakes, but that neither of us can get too upset about the other's mistakes.  I'm not sure how well she heard me, but the rest of the ride did go better after that ๐Ÿ˜†.

Tuesday September 29th - I started Gia out with the same stuff today as yesterday.  She was much quieter today, and quicker to pay attention.  When we picked up the trot, we had much the same scenario as yesterday, and I am more certain that she is reacting to my not-so-perfect leg coming out place.  ๐Ÿ™„.  We did work through it, and the ride was better afterwards.  I was also able to add in some straightness in her body, and we were able to get some really nice moments of her stretching over her back and into my hand!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - sessions 1159-1166 - lots of figuring out what exactly might be going on

Gia - sessions 1170-1172 - A change of reins - Danielle works with Gia ... and writes the blog!

Gia sessions 1258-1261 - a week of ups and downs