Gia - session 938 - lunging with side reins

 I lunged Gia with a surcingle and side reins today.  I used a type of side rein called a Balancing Rein.  I attached it to the bottom ring in the middle of the girth, and then the low middle ring on either side of the surcingle.  I started with it on the loosest adjustment to allow her to warm up without too much restriction.  I wanted to start doing this with her on a weekly basis to help her work on staying soft during her up transitions, especially.  I attached the lunge line to the noseband of her bridle

Gia started out nice and relaxed, and did not seem to mind the side reins at all.  After several laps of trot in each direction, and several walk/trot transitions, I increase the side reins at the top by one notch.  We continued to work on walk/trot transitions.  As she softened to those, I started to ask for trot/canter transitions.  I moved the side reins up one more notch, and continue with more walk/trot and trot/canter transitions.  I praised her every time she softened, and she was getting much better by the end.  She seemed to understand the idea of staying soft better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP