Gia - session 916 - lesson at CDP

 Gia was a bit difficult about getting on the trailer today.  She would step up on the ramp with her front feet, but not with her back feet, look around for a few minutes, and when I would encourage more forward movement, she would back right off.  As soon as she did, I put her to work.  This went on much longer that the last two times, but I just kept working her until finally she decided that it was much less effort to get on the trailer than to work in the yard.

At CDP Susan rode Gia first, to see about working through some of her issues towards the canter.  She helped her work through her "spooking by the gazebo" issues as well.  She worked on riding her straighter, more forward, with a quicker step, and a more forward hand.  When I got on, and Susan coached me, she had me do much of the same.  I had to focus on keeping Gia straighter between both legs and hands, and not allowing, or asking, for so much bend.  I also had to focus on the step of each of her hind legs more, and how quick they were stepping, without letting Gia get fast or strung out, especially through transitions.   In the canter, we found that I get a bit defensive after about 5 strides of canter, when I feel it start to fall apart, and then start to brace against her with my hands (probably in expectation of a buck).  It's a bit of a catch 22, since she is more likely to buck when I restrict her with my hands, rather than allow her to move more forward with a longer neck.  For now, I will work on coming back out of the canter after just a few strides, until her canter, and my position, improve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP