Gia - session 901 - horse trial!

 I took Gia to a new venue for a Starter level horse trial yesterday - the lovely Heather Ridge Farm!  Danielle warmed her up on the lunge line, and said she was ok - looking around at everything, but nothing too bad.  

In dressage warm up she was her usual self.  I actually expected it to be worse since we hadn't really been anywhere different in a while.  There were still things she was worried about, but no more than usual.  She was tense in warm up, despite me trying to keep just a light contact, but we did manage to work through all our movements and get into our canter work.  She did do a little bucking at the canter, but not too bad, and I was able to manage it and redirect it and ended up with some nice canter circles!

Our test was a bit messy, partly my fault, partly the wind, and partly my wild beast.  She didn't do anything specific, although I messed up the ending to the test.  She just felt a bit all over the place, and her gaits felt especially big, fast and splayed out.  We still did ok, and scored a 65.66%.

Jumping warm up felt really good!  We were able to go straight to jumping after a quick tack change, and I think that really helped.  Since she was already still warmed up, all I really had to do was put her over a few jumps.  As soon as I got her over the first one, I clicked, then gave her a treat (which she almost didn't want to stop for).  After that, she got into it, and was pretty much looking for the next jump!  We did cross country first, and she didn't balk at any of the jumps, even one where the tree branches were so low that I had to duck!  She got a click after every jump, and a treat at the end.  We did have to wait a bit for stadium, and waiting is not her strong suit.  We mostly walked around in circles or figure 8's, but whenever she did manage to stand still, I clicked and she got a treat.  Butch started out the same way at shows, but now he stands like a statue.  Her stadium round was really good!  She was very ridable, and even had fun through a "gymnastic" of a one stride to a three stride!  We finished on our dressage score and in third place, with two very solid jump rounds!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP