Gia - session 887 - lesson at CDP

 It has been about a month since we have had a lesson at CDP, due to holidays, vacations and vet visits.  We finally got back out there today.  Before we got there, however, Gia was a bit of a PITA about getting on the trailer.  She has continued to have a small tantrum with her hind shipping boots, and I've been trying a few different tactics lately.  I experimented with a new one today - After I took her off the crossties, I waited until she gave a sign of relaxation, and then I started forward.  As soon as she kicked out at the boot, I yanked on her rope halter, and Danielle popped her on the behind.  We stopped again and waited for her to give another sign of relaxation.  We did that about 3 or 4 times, and then she finally walked calmly the rest of the way.  However, when we got to the trailer, she was again resistant about getting on.  Every time she went forward and stepped on the trailer, or made progress to go further in, I let her rest, and waited for a sign of relaxation.  Then I rewarded her and asked for more progress by tapping her on the behind.  It started ok at first, but she got more resistant as we went on.  We started to make some real progress, and then she got even more resistant.  The she threw a big tantrum, so I backed away from the trailer (don't worry, she didn't get any rewards, and this wasn't at all a break for her).  Rather, I made her turn in small circles several times in both directions, until she was a bit more humble.  This is actually difficult work for a horse.  After a few minutes of that.  I walked her back up to the trailer, and she got right on.

In my lesson today at CDP, she decided she was going to be "afraid" of the gazebo, and make a big deal of it.  So, at the walk and trot, I worked on leg yielding towards the gazebo, while bending away from it.  We also had to do a lot of circling.  When that was better, I added in some lengthening and collecting, as well as some haunches-in.  Finally, she was more humble and more relaxed, so I cantered her once in each direction.  Since we had done all our "homework" at the walk and trot, both her canters were REALLY good!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP