Gia - session 628 - getting past the pigs!

 I intended to take it fairly easy on Gia today since she had a few days off due to the holidays.  I was just going to hack her on the trail, but since she has been overly reactive to the two new piggies we got on Friday, I decided to work on some desensitization with her.  

All I really ended up doing was going back and forth near the pig pen until she was a little better.  She started out VERY reactive and resistant to go forward.  Despite me keeping my eye on something past the pigs, rather than the pigs themselves, and keeping her feet moving, and keeping her "funneled" in the correct direction, when I was coming past the pigs away from the barn, she would not go all the way.  I was able to get her fairly close, and then gave her a treat.  After that, I hopped off and hand walked her back and forth past the pigs.  Each time we got by, I gave her a treat.  She was definitely easier to lead whenever heading towards the barn, rather than away.  I went several times back and forth, and then decided to try from the saddle again.  This time, I only passed the pigs with Gia heading in the direction of the barn.  I was able to get her by them several times much easier, with much less resistance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP