Gia - session 579 - dressage lesson with Suzin

 Gia and I had our dressage lesson with Suzin today.  After warming up with stretching at the walk, and walk/trot transitions, we moved on to do a little shoulder-in work.  I have to work on getting Gia to move her shoulders more off the rail in order for the movement to be more correct.  I also have to work on not bending her neck quite as much.  

After that, we moved right into the canter work.  Her canter to the right was actually quite good - no bucking, fairly obedient and responsive, and fairly collected while still moving forward.  Her canter to the left, not so much.  She was very disobedient and threw in a LOT of bucking, a couple that were really rough.  I was not having any luck with asking her for the canter using the traditional cue, and I noticed that her haunches were really trailing to the outside.  So, I abandoned the canter for a minute, and started to work on haunches-in.  Suzin also had us alternate that with leg yield to the outside to encourage bending to the inside.  Gradually, she came together better, and I started to ask for canter again, sometimes from walk, sometimes from trot - basically, however I felt she could give it to me.  There were still some attempts to buck, but it was harder for her to get her body up when I was able to keep her shoulders to the outside.  If I lost them to the inside, then things fell apart, and she was able to get a little naughty again.  It took us several attempts, but we were finally able to get a decent canter to the left, with no bucking.  On the plus side, Suzin said that Gia was really "sitting down" in her canter work today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP