Gia - session 483 - a little flat, a little jump, a LOT of bucking

I started out with Gia working on getting her attention at the walk today.  She was quite distracted by a new horse that got turned out in a nearby field.  Once she was more focused at the walk, we did the same at the trot.  I also did a little bit of bending and leg yield work with her.  

The next thing I wanted to do was to hop over a few little jumps, since she was doing well, and since it has been a while since we really jumped.  We did a couple of crossrails at the trot that she took quite well - nicely forward without being fast, and with good takeoff spots.  She even cantered a little after them, and it was all good.  Then, I was approaching a little bit bigger jump, and she started to pick up a canter a bit too early ... and threw in a little buck.  I ended up having to canter around several laps in each direction, pushing her more forward everytime she bucked.  And there were a lot of bucks.  When I was finally able to ask her to go forward without any bucking, several times in each direction, I put my attention back on the crossrail oxer I was initially approaching.  She jumped it beautifully in each direction, and didn't bat an eye when she cantered off either!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP