Gia - session 440 - flatwork, lots of transitions

 Gia and I had a lesson with Suzin this morning.  We warmed up with a lot of stretching, bending and leg yields at the walk and trot.  Gia was a bit against my hands during the walk trot transitions, so we repeated those a lot until she remained softer.

In addition to the walk trot transitions, we also did a lot of transitions between all gaits, including halt, a little rein back, and canter.  Since Gia has been a bit naughty with her canter transitions, I just started by putting my leg back for the cue, but not making a bid deal of whether or not she actually cantered.  She immediately had a negative reaction to my leg (a little kicking out and bucking), so I just kept my leg in place until she softened and behaved, and then immediately took my leg away.  When she wasn't so reactive, I followed through with the canter cue by adding a kiss sound.  She started to get reactive again, so I just kept at it until she gave up and just cantered.  As soon as she cantered, I released my cue, even if it meant that she didn't keep the canter for more than a few steps.  I also worked on over-flexing her a bit to keep her from being able to get her nose up in a position where she could buck and be naughty.  I was able to get a few transitions in each direction that were quieter and less reactive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP