Gia - session 428 - more schooling at a show

 I took Gia to the Portofino show this weekend to school.  This is an event she has never been to, so I was curious to see how she would behave.  She was actually pretty good!

I started out lunging her near the trailer.  She was a little distracted by some horses running in a nearby field, but otherwise, she was very lazy.  

I mounted her near the trailer, then walked through the paddocks and other trailers to get to the warm up area.  She was a little nervous at first, but then seemed to relax when we were about half way there.  In the warm up area, I walked for a bit, until she felt relaxed and stretchy.  It didn't seem to take as much time as it has in the past.  When I picked up the trot, she was not as tense or anxious as she has been at shows previously.  I only had to sit the trot for a few minutes before I felt that she was relaxed enough to post.

This warm up area had mirrors, which she has never seen, so I kept her at the end of the ring away from the mirrors at first.  As she relaxed, I started to gradually work her closer to the mirrors.  She never really reacted to them at all.  I think she noticed them, but they didn't seem to bother her.  I worked all over the ring at the trot - lots of changes of bend, leg yields, and even a little bit of trot lengthenings. 

She was feeling good enough that I decided to ask for a little canter.  She was a bit fussy, and threw in a few kicks out with her legs, and even a really big buck that did unseat me, but didn't dump me.  However, I was able to get a decent canter from her in each direction.  After that, I decided she had had enough, and she walked calmly back to the trailer.  She was even fairly good standing at the trailer for the majority of the day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP