Gia - session 425 - fun in the field!

 I took Gia out in the field for her workout today.  We started with a bit of walking and working on stretching down.  She was a little nervous, and excited at first, but once she relaxed, she really got into the stretching.

Although I was expecting her to be a little naughty when I picked up the trot, she was actually pretty good.  Still a little nervous, but fairly well focused on me.  We worked on straightness and attention as we trotted around the fields.

After warming up, I put her towards some of the smaller jumps in the field, just to see how she would react.  If I remember correctly, the last time I asked her to jump in the field, she was quite naughty, but today, she was very well behaved!  I think she really enjoyed the jumping, and realized that she would get to keep doing it if she was good. ☺

There was one set of jumps that had a larger one in the middle, surrounded by two smaller ones on either side.  I had her pointed at one of the smaller ones, but she pricked her ears at the larger one, so I allowed her to drift over and take it.  It's very rare that a horse CHOOSES to take the larger jump!  Since she seemed so eager, I pointed her at a couple of other larger ones that she hadn't done before, including the Road Closed jump.  The first time we came to the Road Closed jump, I second guessed her and messed up her rhythm, but she took it anyway.  The second time through, she was on the wrong lead, but I just supported her, and she jumped it just fine!  The third time through, all the stars aligned, and the jump was AMAZING!  I do wish I had a video of it for you, but just trust me when I tell you, she was awesome!  She did stop at the down bank on our first approach, and hesitated on our second approach, but did it fine on the third approach.  She cantered after several of the jumps, so I just tried to support her in the canter to keep it going when she could.  I believe this is the first time I've really felt her true jumping talent - with an excitement for the work, in addition to really good form before, during and after the jumps.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP