Gia - session 384, 385, 386 - schooling at the show, and lunging with the Pessoa

We got home pretty late from the show last night, and I was too tired to write Gia's blog then, so this blog will be a three-fer, including both days at the show, as well as her workout today.

On Saturday at the show, I worked with Gia in the morning.  After brushing and tacking her up, I took her a fair distance away from the trailer to lunge her.  She was quite upset about being so far away from everyone, so there was a lot of frantic hollering, losing her attention in the direction of the trailer, bucking, and being a little crazy on the lunge in general.  I spent a lot of time, doing a lot of transitions, including canter, until she was a bit tired, and a lot more submissive.  I didn't want to take her back to the trailer to use a stool to hop on her, so I had someone give me a leg up.  With her height, it was just as difficult as you might imagine!  Under saddle, I walked her up to the warm up area.  She was VERY nervous about most things on our walk up, and there were a few times she didn't want to move forward, but we persisted and eventually made it in the ring.  Once in the ring, I did a lot of work at the walk, just leg yielding in both directions to get her attention.  Once that felt better, I did the same thing at the trot.  She was very tense at the trot, and let out several small bucks throughout our ride.  I did a lot of the ride with my hands up to help keep her poll up, which can help cut down on the bucking.  When she finally relaxed enough that I was able to allow her to trot out more, her trot felt phenomenal!  Once she gets her nerves under control, I think she will be amazing!  After a little bit of work at the relaxed trot, I hopped off, gave her a treat, and then walked her back to the trailer.  

On Sunday, she had some weird sort of swelling on her side, and it was a bit tender to the touch.  It was right where my leg would be, if I were in the saddle, so I decided it would be in the best interest of my health, to just lunge her and not ride.  I did pretty much the same thing on the lunge line as I did on Saturday, and it went about the same.  When I finally got some relaxation and submission, I gave her a treat and we walked back to the trailer.  

For today, I opted to just lunge her again.  Partly for personal reasons, and partly because she did have a pretty big weekend.  We tacked her up in the Pessoa for her lunging session today, and I mainly focused on her obedience to my cues.  She kept wanting to trot when she hadn't been asked to yet, so every time she did, I would pull sharply on the line to stop her.  I waited until she was walking patiently before asking her to trot, and the same when going from trot to canter.  She actually gave me some really nice canter transitions today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP