Gia - session 382 - cantering in the round pen

 I started Gia with some stretching and straightening at the walk.  I moved on to the trot and worked on the same things.  She was fairly responsive to the trot cues, although she did feel a little tense and quick at times.  She was also fairly responsive to cues to straighten and balance, not quite as supple as last time, but not bad.

When it was time to canter, I decided to see how things looked free lunging in the round pen.  If I was having the same problem there, then it would be easier to work with.  If not, then at least I know it's more of an under saddle thing.  I definitely had similar issues in the round pen as I had under saddle last week.  When I asked for the canter, she got very quick and tense and launched into the canter.  I immediately brought her back to the trot, settled her down and then asked for the canter again.  Every time she rushed into the canter, I would bring her back to the trot.  She eventually started to pick up the canter in a more relaxed, and less tense manner.  Once I got a couple of decent transitions in each direction I let her end on that.  I will probably work on her canter in the round pen for a while, until she has a better understanding of what it is I actually want when I ask for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP