Gia - session 366 - home made Equi-band

 I had a limited amount of time to work with Gia yesterday, so I decided to try something that Cameron and I had talked about when he saw her last.  One store brand version is called Equiband, and the purpose is to help the horse engage their hindquarters better.  However, rather than spend $220, I just used a standing wrap, and attached it to the girth.  A standing wrap has enough elastic, without being too tight, so it is a good substitute.  

I started with it on Gia on the lunge line so she could get used to it.  As I suspected, she was a little nervous when I was first bringing it around her hind end to attach it to the other side.  She stood mostly still, but she was wide-eyed and blew her nostrils a little.  Once I got her moving on the lunge line, she was only worried about it for a step or two, then she settled into it.  After a few minutes in each direction, she was even stretching over her topline a little better!

I decided to give it a go under saddle.  She was very good!  We just did a little bit of walk trot work, some transitions and some bending.  It did feel like she was more engaged in her hind end, and thus, her forehand was a bit lighter.  

I will most likely add this in to her routine at least once a week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP