Gia - Session 356 and 357 - Walking around the show grounds

 I took Gia to the show this weekend at the Carolina Horse Park. Unfortunately, I ended up breaking my hand the day before, so I was unable to compete on Butch. However, I still had to go to coach a student, so I still brought Gia along to hang out and get some exposure. (By the way, Chris is nice enough to type up the blog for me today, since my typing is painstakingly slow. :) )

On both days, Gia got to spend time tied to the trailer. I did forget to use the special tie rings the first time, and she ended up pulling back and almost pulling the trailer tie off the trailer. Needless to say, I remembered the special tie rings after that!

Also on both days, I had a couple of big gaps in my schedule, so I made use of that time by taking Gia for long hand walks all over the show grounds. We would hang out in one spot until she relaxed enough to eat some grass, and then we would move on to another spot. We worked our way around the warm-up arena, near the dressage arenas, near both jump arenas, and on the schooling day, we even got to walk in the smaller jump ring and check everything out there. In many of the areas, she was quite nervous about everything around her. I made sure that she relaxed enough to eat a few mouthfuls of grass before I allowed her to move on to the next area. On our walks back to the trailer, I did have to make her back up several times whenever she would try to get ahead of me in her urgency to get back to the trailer and her friend Pippa. Despite not being able to ride her this weekend, I still think she got a lot of exposure at the show. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP