Gia - session 353 - transitions and hills

 I started Gia with some hill work today at the walk.  She was a little nervous near the pond (after a giant frog jumped in the water right next to her), and a little resistant at first, but she softened and relaxed by the end.

In the arena, we mainly worked on transitions and figures.  I tried to ride the majority of the time with both reins in one hand to provided a steadier connection to Gia.  Whenever I felt her get too quick or unbalanced, I asked for a down transition, and I took the opportunity to really fine tune my cue to her.  I made a point of always starting to ask for the transition by bringing my shoulders down and back, then tightening my abs, then tightening my thigh, then applying my hand, if necessary.  Towards the end, I was able to get down transitions and half halts with mostly just my shoulders and abs, and a little thigh.

Whenever she felt unbalanced and leaning on my hands, I circled, or put her on another type of figure.  As soon as she felt straighter and more balanced, I would let her go straight again.  It took her a while to get her balance, but by the end, she gave me a very lovely trot, with a very lovely lengthening!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP