Gia - session 342 - jumping in my fields

 I took Gia out into my fields today for some cross country jumping.  We warmed up with a nice walk and trot around the fields, mainly focusing on stretching, relaxing, and staying straight.

When I started jumping, she got a bit quick, unbalanced and sassy.  She also didn't want to land on her right lead when we were turning right.  Before each jump to the right, I worked on keeping her haunches to the right.  That helped a lot!  After each jump, I often had to lift my hands to keep her from getting too far down on her forehand.  I also did a lot of circles after the jumps to help her balance herself.  I tried to keep from using my hands to slow her down whenever possible, so the circling helped to do that in a less invasive way.  I also worked with her up the bank jump. Since there was no down side, that helped her stay more uphill in her balance afterwards.  That made a big difference!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP