Gia - session 315 - dressage

I started Gia with a bit of in-hand work at the beginning of our lesson with Suzin today.  I was mainly asking for her to bend to the inside, and then halt and rein-back.  She did it quite well to the left, but it was much harder to the right.  She wasn't very accepting of the outside rein, tracking right.  I was able to get her to bend if I put her on a small circle, but getting her to bend while walking along the rail was a different story.  We did get a nice moment by the end though.

Under saddle, we went right into the working trot, and circles and changes of direction and bend.  We also did a little bit of shoulder-in, and started to play with half pass.  We came down the long side, did a 10m circle in the corner, then right into shoulder-in down the long side, then a half 10m circle at B, then a few steps of half pass back towards the rail.  She got a couple of steps when we were tracking right, but struggled with it tracking left.  She kept wanting to swing her haunches out rather than move them over.  I ended up having to alternate between leg yield and half pass down quarter line.  She did manage to get a few steps that way.  After that, I allowed her to stretch down at the trot as a reward.  She really enjoyed that!

Next, we worked on walk to canter to walk transitions.  She struggled with staying soft before, during and after the transitions.  I had to change my focus to just making sure that I got the transition, and then worry about getting her soft.  Once she understood what I wanted, and was more prompt to the transitions, she was also more responsive about being softer.

We finished our ride with some stretching at the trot and walk.  Well deserved!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP