Gia - session 284 - lunging and flatwork in the field

 Today is probably our last dry day here for a while, so I took Gia back out into the field for some more lunging and flatwork.

I started by lunging her in the rope halter out in the main jump field.  She was a bit tense and quick at first.  We worked all over the field in both directions until she was more relaxed, and not trying to bolt or canter.

Then I hopped on to work a bit under saddle.  I started with a lot of circles and leg yielding at the walk.  She was fairly relaxed, but did look around a bit.  I repeated the same work at the trot until she was working all around the field without much of a reaction.

Next, I had her work a bit on haunches-in, in preparation for the canter.  She was a little tense and a little pissy at first, but she did relax.  Once relaxed, I asked for a little canter.  She only thought about bolting/bucking once, and she didn't really do anything, I could just feel her thinking about it.  I did a little canter work in each direction.  If she got quick, I put her on a circle, but she was much quieter than she was last time.  After a couple of nice canters, we walked nice and quiet back to the barn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP