Gia - session 267 - dressage lesson with Suzin

 It's been a few weeks since Gia and I have had a dressage lesson with Suzin, thanks to all the crappy weather.  We were finally able to get one in today though.

We started with a bit of stretching at the walk.  When I was ready to pick her up for a working walk, Suzin had me flex her in one direction, then, when she would release, I would shorten the reins.  Then I repeated the same thing on the other side.  I did that inch by inch until the reins were an appropriate length for a working walk.

At the working walk, I did a bit of work on flexing and then giving, until Gia was softer to the contact and not inverted.  Then I worked on asking for a better trot transition.  Before each transition, I flexed to the inside until she was softer and not inverted, then I tried to maintain that feel while asking her to move into the trot.  It took a few tries,  but she was getting it better, by the end.  

At the trot, I continued to ask her to flex when she wanted to invert.  I was also constantly thinking about having a very correct position (equal weight in my stirrups and seat bones, and hands together in front of me).  Whenever she was correct, I would give a little to see if she could keep it on her own.  She would make it about 3 steps before I would have to ask again.  Her deviations weren't too bad though, and it was fairly easy to correct her again.

Towards the end of our lesson, we did a little shoulder-fore, and a few canter transitions and lengthenings.  Gia was a bit dramatic about several of the canter transitions, and even let out a big buck at one point.  I just kept asking for what I wanted until I got it, and kept pushing her towards my outside hand while flexing to the inside.  The lengthenings she gave me were quite good today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP