Gia - session 249 - jumping!

 No lunging today.  Gia warmed up with some stretching at the walk, and she was super relaxed!  After a trot warm up that included a little bit of lateral work, we started over fences.

I set up a variety of fences around the ring - some crossrails, some verticals, some small, some tall.  We played around on those for a little bit.  She wanted to rush a little bit in the beginning, so I threw in a lot of circles before the jumps until she was quieter.  I also worked on getting her straighter before and after the jumps.  

After a lot of the jumps (but not all), I would give her a treat.  I don't want her to expect a treat after every jump, because then she will start to stop after every jump, but I do still want to reward her efforts over the fences.  

There were a couple that surprised her at first, especially the rather large X  I set up to help keep her straighter.  She was only surprised the first time though, and immediately on the next try, she knew what I wanted her to do.  

We finished with a small jump course.  The first couple times through the course, I had to throw in a circle here and there if she got too quick or crooked.  On our last trip through the course, she was much straighter and more rhythmic in her tempo!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP