Gia - session 232 - stretching down and tempo, especially over poles

 Gia started out stretching down really well at the walk.  When I picked her up to the trot today though, she wasn't as eager to stretch.  Each time I wanted the stretch I would hold her with my leg and make my hands wider.  As soon as she responded correctly, even if it was only a little, I would relax both aids.  

She was very inconsistent today, and it wasn't until about 15 minutes in that I had the thought that I probably should have lunged her today.  It's a Monday and I had a lot on my mind this morning, and it's not something that's in my normal routine yet, so I'm chalking it up to that.  However, I have put a reminder on my phone so that, hopefully, I will remember better the next time.  

Anyway, we muscled through.  She was getting better with her stretching on the flat, so I decided to travel over some poles as we worked around the ring.  Nothing specific, just any that came up in our path.  Unfortunately, that did not go as well as I had hoped.  

Nothing bad, but every time she thought we were going to a pole, she would speed up.  Definitely a better problem than slowing down or hesitating, but she still needs to maintain a steady, consistent tempo and stretch whether we are on the flat or going over poles.  

It took her the rest of our time together to get two good trips over a single pole.  In the video I took, you can see the aids I use to encourage the stretch.  You can also see how, every time she speeds up, I put her on a small circle until she slows down again.  I used more sitting trot at the end of our ride because I felt I could be more effective with all the aids that way.  I will definitely remember to lunge next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP