Gia - session 212 - Two steps forward, one step back ...

 I took Gia with me today to school at the Sharon Oaks Hunter show that I was taking several students to.  I had her wear a full set of normal shipping boots today for the first time since I started using the wraps.  She did great!  No fussing at all, just a little high stepping in the beginning (which they all do anyway).  When I put her on the big trailer, she even stood perfectly quietly with no "piaffeing" at all!  That's the first time she has ever been quiet on the big trailer!

So, I thought the rest of the day would go just as well ....

But ... horses ...

After I got my students through their classes, I pulled Gia off the trailer to get her ready to school.  She had been standing fairly quietly while the others showed, maybe a little talkative, but nothing noteworthy.

However, as soon as I pulled her off, she completely changed.  I did forget to give her the calming paste today, but she was worse than she has been in a long time, way before I ever started using the calming paste with her.

I have no idea what set her off today.  It could have been that the weather was a bit cooler, but it wasn't that much cooler.  It could have been the goats across the street, but they've been there before, and I'm pretty sure she's seen them.  I really have no idea what her deal was today, but that's horses for you.  

The only thing predictable about a horse is that they are unpredictable.

She was very antsy when I was getting her ready - lots of moving around, lots of ignoring my presence completely, lots of talking.  I managed to get her brushed ok, but she was getting more agitated right about the time I saddled her.  I probably should have left her unsaddled and lunged her, but I thought she would work it out, and I would still get to ride.

Once I finally got the saddle on, I took her out to lunge in a rope halter.  She was a hot mess.  Our lunging consisted of getting her to move her feet, but then getting her to stay off the top of me.  It took a lot of effort to get her attention on me today, but whenever I did, and she relaxed, momentarily, I would make sure to praise her.  

We were at it for a while, but I finally let her quit when things were slightly better.  She was nowhere near as good as I had hoped, but I felt if I kept at it, it wasn't going to get much better.  So, I picked a few good moments and ended on those.

As soon as I got her back to the trailer, I untacked her and loaded her up.  This was one of those moments where I didn't bother with cleaning her up and putting her boots and tail wrap back on, because I didn't think she'd really stand for it all anyway.  The ride home and unloading were pretty uneventful, so I am still perplexed as to why today went so awry.  It's definitely disappointing, but it's part of the game.  Hopefully, next time will be better ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP