Gia - session 208 - spa day!

 Since it was pouring rain today, and Gia needed her mane cared for anyway, I decided to make it a spa day.  Well, all I really did was shorten her mane, but still.  

Her mane has been going all over the place lately, so I decided that instead of pulling it, I would "razor" it.  I usually just save this method for a mane that is really thin.  Pulling usually thins a mane out while shortening it, but if the mane isn't thick enough, then this method will get it shorter while maintaining the thickness.  I've never tried this method for an unruly mane, so we'll see how it ends up.  Normally, I wouldn't pull a horse's mane when it's wet, but for this method, it doesn't matter.  

Gia was a little fidgety at first, and a little jumpy at times when the wind was blowing hard, but she did start to relax a little, and by the end, seemed much more relaxed.  Basically, I have a small comb with a razor inserted (it's a specialty item that I'm sure I picked up at a tack store somewhere).  I take tiny sections of mane and use the razor blade to cut it off.  When I'm all done, I go back through the mane and "rough up" the edges a bit with the razor blade so that it doesn't have a blunt cut.

Once it's dry, I'll be able to tell if it will do the trick or not.  If not, no big deal, I'll just go back to pulling it the next time.  Fingers crossed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP