Gia - session 186 - more flat and jumping at CDP

 Today was more of the same as last week at CDP Stables.

After a smooth 1 1/2 hour trailer ride, Gia hung out in a stall while I rode Butch.  She was a little jumpy about a few small things around their barn that she doesn't see at my barn.  They were so insignificant to me that I can't even remember what they were.  But they were obviously important to her.

Makyla told me that she was very good for her grooming today, and once she was saddled, I headed out to the jump ring.  Charlie had said he wanted to do more of the same as last week - flat work with a little jumping.

So, we worked on using circles when she got distracted, and learning to move off my leg on the circles.  Charlie added random poles on the ground for us to go over.  She was a little hesitant at first, but then it was easy after that.  Then we added a little leg yield at the walk and trot when changing direction.  She responded to all my aids really well today, and she wasn't as spooky in the ring as she has been the last few rides out there.

Then he set up a small vertical for her in the jumping chute.  I noticed that it had a small flower box that she had never been over before, so I started by walking her past it a few times.  That wasn't too bad, so Charlie set another flower box out by itself for her to walk over.  She stopped very abruptly at it, but I kept her straight and kept my leg on until she would step forward.  She would lean into it, and then hesitate and try to step back repeatedly, almost like a game.  Eventually, and with a little extra encouragement, she stepped, or rather, leapt over the flower box and landed safely on the other side.  To me, that's always the hardest part - when I don't know how much the horse is actually going to jump over the scary, new obstacle, so I don't know what to prepare for in order to stay on.  We repeated the exercise until it wasn't a big deal anymore and she was going over it very easily.  I think it only took 2 or 3 times before she didn't hesitate at all.

Then we were ready for the vertical with the flower box under it.  Once I had a good circle, she approached it and went over it with no problems at all!  We went back and forth over it a few times.  They were a little awkward, as she is still trying to figure out what to do with her feet, but she wasn't afraid.

Finally, we finished with a little canter work.  First, I had to help her get into a nice, balanced trot, and then ask for the canter, and try to find a balanced canter.  That was definitely the hardest thing for her, especially to the right.  We did manage to get a few good steps in each direction.  Each time I did get a good moment, I relaxed for a second and praised her.  She wasn't able to maintain the canter for very long, but that will come with time and strength.

After her ride, she stood very well in the outdoor washpit for her bath.  She was even more cooperative for me to spray her face off!  

Coming home, she was a bit more antsy in the trailer than usual.  She was also very fidgety when we did finally get home, so she had to hang out on the trailer for a little bit while we got the next horse ready.  Once she was quiet, she got to come off the trailer and go out in her field.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP