Gia - session 166 - A different set of shipping boots, and we canter off the farm!

When I got Gia ready to leave yesterday, I decided to try a different set of shipping boots.  These were still too small, but they weren't as restrictive, so she didn't kick out with them.  I will definitely be getting her a much larger set, but for now, these will work.

After she chilled out on the walker, I tacked her up at the trailer, where she stood perfectly still.  I opted not to lunge again, since it was still so hot, and just hopped on in the arena and started walking around.  She took a hard look at a few things, but then warmed up with her usual corners, circles and diagonal lines at the walk and trot.  After a lap in each direction at the trot, she was feeling a LOT more comfortable, and even started to feel a little expressive!

Since she felt so relaxed, I thought we would try a little canter.  It actually went pretty well!  We only went once in each direction, and there was no bucking at all.  The first time, she picked up the correct lead, and then I just focused on getting her straight and balanced for three moments before I asked her to trot.  Going the other way, it took her a few tries to get the correct lead, but once she did, I asked for the same three moments of straight and balanced.  She was definitely a little nervous about it, but for her first time cantering off the farm, I thought it went pretty well!

We finished our ride by taking a walk in the dressage arena.  Last week, when we walked out there, it was just an empty pad of sand.  This week, they had the actual dressage arena rails and letters set up.  Gia definitely took a hard look all around the arena in both directions.  She did spook a little hard once, but it wasn't too bad. We will definitely have to spend more time in there, but for the first time, I just wanted her to get in and around and out.

Bathing in the scarier wash pit yesterday was much less eventful.  I think she was still tense, but she was not reactive.  She even lowered her head a bit while I sprayed it off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP