Gia - session 141 - Bath time!

I worked with Gia today on pretty much the same things we have been doing at the walk and trot lately.  Everything went pretty much how it has been going - nothing dramatically good or bad.

It was quite hot today, so I decided I would hop off early and revisit bathing with her.

She has been bathed before, but not since last season, so no telling what she remembers.

With a young or green horse, I always make sure they are really sweaty and it's a nice hot day, before I attempt bathing.  They are more likely to enjoy it that way, and less likely to be afraid of it.

I started her out just like I would if she had never been bathed.  With ANY horse I bathe, even the experienced ones, I ALWAYS start by turning on the hose with the nozzle pointed AWAY from the horse.  Then I bring it in and start with their lower front legs, being careful to aim the water away from their face.  Then I work my way up their body, towards their head, with the spray still pointed away from their face, and then work my way towards the back of their body. 

I had Danielle hold Gia, rather than tie her to the washing area.  This way, in case she gets scared, she doesn't break the tie, which would teach her a very bad habit that is VERY hard to break.  Then I went through the entire bathing process with her.

When I first turned the hose on, it spat out some air, which startled Gia a bit.  When I approached her with the hose, she was a bit nervous, but relaxed after just a few seconds.  She was nervous again when I approached her head, but soon relaxed from that as well. 

Overall, she did quite well, considering it's been a while.

When I finished her body, I changed my sprayer to "mist" and sprayed off her face.  She handled that really well!  I was actually surprised with how well that went!

This will continue to be a two person job until Gia has three good, relaxed sessions, but this was a good start!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP