Gia - session 133 - Gia's first jump!!!

Finally the day has arrived where Gia gets to go over her first jump!

I was a little worried that I was getting too excited about it in my head, and it would totally end up flopping.

It did not flop. 😊

Gia was tacked up, for her first time, in the jumping saddle.  Yay!!

Of course, nothing felt different to her.

I started our ride just like any other - stretching circles at the walk, shoulder-in at the walk, diagonal lines and centerlines at the trot. 

She started out a little quick today, so I had to do a lot of half halting in the beginning until she relaxed into the work.  She did need a few circles in the corners today at the trot before her lines, but nothing was bad. 

Then we went over the 6 trot poles. 

They were so EASY!

She just floated over them like they weren't even there.  Not too slow, but not too fast either.

Finally, the moment I have been waiting for - we got to put up a crossrail. 

To build the small gymnastic, I simply take the last two trot poles and put them together in an "X".  I always start with a small X, so as not to intimidate the horse.  I really debated where to start with her, since she is so large.  I ended up going with hole 5, which is maybe slightly taller than I would have started any other horse, putting the center of the "X" at about 12" off the ground.

As we approached the trot poles, I moved into half seat so that I could stay out of her way, not knowing what to expect.  Her first time through was pretty typical of a young horse - she approached the poles as normal, but sucked back a little and got a little wiggly when she saw the X.  I think we kind of trotted over it, but definitely not in a good rhythm, and definitely not straight.  I did make sure to praise her for getting over it each time though.

The next few times through went a little better.  She felt more confident about what she was doing, but she barely picked up her feet to get over the small obstacle.

I decided that we needed to raise the X to a more respectable height, 2 more holes up, to give her something she could really jump. 

That went better, but she was still quite wiggly. 

So, I added a couple of poles, on the ground after the jump, parallel to, and on either side of, the path she needed to take. 

She was definitely a little worried about those poles the next couple of times through, but once she realized they weren't going to eat her, she relaxed and had a really good, straight, forward jump!  I made sure to praise her a lot after that one!

Then she got a little cocky.

The next few times through she was very excited and tried pulling me to the jump a little faster, and/or tried adding some sass afterwards with a very tiny buck here and there.

It took a few more tries, but I was finally able to get a second and third time through the gymnastic that were what I was looking for.

It took her a little bit to understand what was expected of her, and to get over her emotions.  And even though we only went through the gymnastic a few times, she was thoroughly exhausted, but very proud of herself, by the end.  In fact, she gave me her best walk/halt transition on the very first try, at the end of our ride today!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP