Gia - session 131 - more flat work and trot poles!

Today's ride was pretty much the same as Friday's, but slightly better.

Gia was super relaxed when I mounted, and she didn't even move a muscle!

I warmed her up with circles to stretch down at the walk, then shoulder-in at the walk, with diagonal lines and centerlines as well.  I didn't have to add any circles before or after her lines at the walk today!

At the trot, we worked on circles, diagonal lines and centerlines, as well as trot poles.  She did need several circles in both directions before and after her trot lines.

I lengthened the trot poles to 4'6" to start out today, but by the end, I had to move them out to 4'9".  I still had to keep her a bit collected to even make that distance work!

We finished up with walk/halt transitions, and those were much more obedient, and almost square too!

Going back to the shoulder-in - when I talked about it before, I pointed out that I was not carrying my shoulders straight, and that I would go back and take another video where that was the focus.  I was able to get to that today.

In order to keep my shoulders straight and level, I first start by thinking about staying centered and balanced (front to back and side to side) in the saddle and in my lower body.  I make sure to keep equal weight in both stirrups, and equal weight in both seat bones, which is not easy when doing lateral work.  I focus on sitting up tall, and looking straight ahead, then I think about my shoulders. 

When you are trying to correct something in your position, you must always start from the bottom and work your way up.  You can't just focus on your shoulders, but rather start with your lower leg. 

Just like a pyramid - if you want to have a secure top, you have to have a solid base!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP