Gia - session - 122 - more work on centerline, with extra circles

Gia was in a bit of a mood today.  At first she seemed lazy, but when I had to get after her several times, she got a bit grumpy.

She wouldn't move her hind end over, on the ground, when I asked her politely, at first, and then with a bit more of a bump, so then I had to resort to poking her more sharply.  She immediately moved over, but then scared herself when the Pessoa dropped off to one side, and then she started acting like she was going to pop up a few times.  In case you haven't met her, she can be a little over dramatic at times ...

On the lunge line today, she was a bit lazy, so I had to get after her there as well.  Then she got quite grumpy with pinning her ears.  Once I got on, she seemed fine. 

I decided to skip the circle work today, since it had been going so well, and it was pretty easy for her.  So, we moved right into the centerline work.

It took a little while, but eventually, Gia was fairly straight at the walk.

At the trot on centerline, she was having a harder time finding and maintaining her straightness, so I decided to add 10 meter circles both before we got onto centerline, as well as after we left centerline.  I used the circles, equally in both directions, to help her become more balanced before going down centerline, and then remain balanced once she came off centerline. 

It was difficult for Gia, but the circles definitely helped a lot, as you will see in the video from today.

However, when I went to ask for halt transitions, I think Gia had had enough.  She had a very hard time with maintaining stillness once we halted.  She was very frustrated, and kept trying to move her feet, lean on the bit, or back up. 

Backing up is a big problem, it's something a horse can use to get away from it's rider, so each time she tried to back up, I had to get after her harshly and quickly by giving her a swift kick, and adding a bit of whip if she didn't respond correctly and immediately. 

If she tried to move her feet instead of standing still, I would turn her in a tight circle with my reins, while pushing her with my inside leg to step under herself more.  Thus making the act of moving her feet much less desirable than standing still. 

If she leaned on the bit, I would hold tight to the reins, to prevent them from slipping out of my hand, and push my hands into her withers, to prevent her from pulling them forward. I did NOT pull back.  All that does is start a tug of war, which a human will NEVER win with a horse.

If she stood quietly, without backing up, or moving her feet forward, or leaning on the bit, then I sat, completely still and relaxed.

It took a few tries before I got a halt that was more acceptable.  I did lower my standards a bit today for what I would accept, since she was having such a hard time.  After all, we all have bad days ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP