Gia - session 96 - more lunging and riding (and a bonus session!)

I worked with Gia again today on the same things she has been doing on the lunge line and under saddle.  She was still quite stiff to the left the first time, but super stretchy to the right, and then much better at stretching to the left the second time.  I keep forgetting that I want to try stretching her to the right first and see if that makes a difference.  Hopefully, I'll remember the next time!

Under saddle, we worked on the same things - stretching, straightness, bending, counterbending, all on circles, figure 8's and serpentines.  Gia was super today with everything, and felt the best she has felt so far!  She was really stretching and doing well with bending and counterbending too!

Gia also had a bonus ride on Saturday.  One of my students has been horse searching, and had asked me questions about the differences between an "uphill" horse and a "downhill" horse.  Uphill horses are built higher up front, in the withers, and lower towards the back end.  Downhill horses are built lower up front, and are higher in their hips.  Horses that are built uphill tend to have a much easier time collecting and jumping, simply because of how they are built.  It would be like any athlete that is better conformed to do the sport versus someone who is not.  It doesn't mean that the athlete who is not built perfectly can't do it, they just have to work harder at it than an athlete who is built for the job.  I decided it would be a good idea for her to feel what a more uphill horse was like to ride, and since Gia is built more uphill than most of the other horses at my farm, I had her ride Gia in her lesson on Saturday.  I had her do the exact same things with Gia, including lunging, that I have been doing.  Gia did a lovely job for Jenna, and I think she really enjoyed being in the lesson!  She stands at the side of the arena almost the entire time I give lessons, just watching .... and, maybe, waiting her turn! ☺ She especially enjoyed all the attention from the kids afterwards!  It was also nice to see Gia go with someone else.  It's just another way that I can evaluate how she is doing and what she needs to work on.  After watching Jenna ride, I decided I am still happy with the direction that Gia is going in.  We just need a lot more repetition ...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP