Gia - session 55 - Much improved today!

I started Gia out on the lunge line, partly to desensitize her to the clanging metal stirrups, and partly to make sure she would be obedient to the aids before I got on her.  She was MUCH better than Wednesday!  She only startled about the stirrups a few times at the very beginning, and then she ignored them the rest of the time.  She was very obedient and prompt to the up transitions, and wasn't grumpy at all.  She was a little distracted, so not as obedient to the "walk" transitions.  Once she gave me 3 good walk transitions in each direction, I decided to hop on.

She started the under saddle work much less fussy and much more willing to do what I asked.  She was a little distracted, but not too bad.  I asked her to soften to my leg and rein on each side, and within minutes, she was obediently bending to the right and left.  The right was stiffer again, but she was much more willing.  Once I had gotten three good flexions in each direction at the walk, I asked her to move into the trot.  She only hesitated and resisted a little at the beginning, but once she got going, she kept it quite well.  Her trot was also much more forward than it has been.  She was equally obedient to the bending and yielding aids at the trot.  I had her work on a large figure 8, using almost the entire arena.  And once she had given me several good moments in each direction, I let her end on that.  The next step will be to add the canter under saddle.  I think if I can get two more rides like this one, she will be ready for that!

As soon as she was untacked, Danielle held her, twitched, while I clipped her muzzle.  She tensed up a little, but within about a minute, she relaxed, I took away the clippers and Danielle removed the twitch.  It was nice and cool today, so no need to bathe her.  Danielle allowed her to graze a little extra while she rubbed her down and then put her away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP