Gia - session 50 - Gia with an attitude!

I started Gia out today with a bit of free lunging in the arena.  I wasn't expecting much drama because it is soooo hot and humid today.  As I expected, she trotted around the arena, interested in a few things, trying to eat grass, but eventually, in about the same amount of time as usual, decided that she was ready to get to work and focus on me.  Once I had her complete attention, I exchanged her halter for a bridle and hopped on.  She started out very slow at the walk.  It's still hard to tell if she is tense or just lazy, but I did not get the feeling today that her walk was as tense as usual.  She was more focused on me and less focused on things outside the arena as well.  She was even starting to offer a little bit of bending right away, although she did start pulling down on the reins as well.  I was able to ask her for the trot sooner than usual.  She did fine for about 2 laps, and then she started to stall out on me.  At first, I thought she was just being lazy.  I had picked up a crop before I had gotten on, because I was expecting a bit of laziness today.  So, I asked her to move forward like I usually do, using voice, leg and then adding whip, and staying consistent until I get what I want, almost nagging her.  On her bad days, it might take a few hard requests before I get what I want, but today she was really being stubborn!  She started to move sideways in an aggressive manner, somewhat like I have seen her do on the ground when she doesn't want to work.  However, she couldn't figure out how to come after me since I was on top of her and not on the ground.  So she started to try a few other things.  At first, she just wouldn't move at all, but I was persistent.  I could definitely feel some tension building since I was repeatedly asking her to go forward.  I felt a few attempts at a small buck and a small rear, but then she did take a step forward.  As soon as I felt the forward motion, I let up.  But, as soon as I let up, she stopped moving again.  I tried asking her to go forward again, but I met the same resistance.  Once I managed to get a step forward again, I decided to work on this problem on the ground, where things were a bit safer. 

Once on the ground, I attached the lunge line and asked her to go forward by tapping her right behind the girth with a whip, right where my leg was asking her to go forward.  For the most part, she moved forward willingly.  Sometimes I would have to ask her a bit harder, sometimes I would have to fuss at her and send her more forward more faster when she pinned her ears and made an aggressive move towards me.  Once she seemed more humble and more willing to work, I hopped back on.  Almost immediately, she was resisting the forward motion and trying to figure out how she could get me to leave her alone.  Again, I hopped off, worked with her on the lunge line, and then tried again in the saddle.  This time, she started out very hesitantly trying to get me to leave her alone (she reminded me of my teenage son when I am trying to get him to do something he doesn't want to do.  I think I even felt her glare at me in defiance).  However, this time she eased up and finally went forward as I asked.  It took a couple of laps before I felt her finally give up all the resistance.  As soon as I felt that, I hopped off and we ended our session there.

Once I had her untacked, Rebecca held her and the twitch while I worked on clipping her muzzle.  She felt a little more tense at the beginning today, and it took her a little longer to relax, but as soon as she did, I turned off the clippers, removed the twitch and let her have grass.  Rebecca finished her up with a bath while someone else held her.  She was a little fidgety for Rebecca,  but not too bad.

Hopefully, this attitude of hers won't be a recurring thing, but in horse years, she is a teenager, so you never know ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP