Gia - session 48 - Bending!

Gia was already pretty hot and sweaty today, but I still had her start out with some free lunging around the arena.  She wasn't too excited, but was a little distracted and did buck a few times.  Once I got on her, she seemed pretty good, in general.  Her walk was not as hesitant, and had more march today.  She was still distracted, but not as tentative about it.  I used a wiggling rein, and started to add a bit of pushing leg in the opposite direction of whatever was distracting her, to get her attention back on me.  This will also help to introduce bending to her, even if it's not much at this time.  Once she was relaxed enough, I moved on to the trot.  Her trot also had more energy and less tension today.  I also used the rein and leg aids to help with the distractions and to add some flexion and bending.  She responded really well to it, and by the end, really seemed to understand what I was asking of her.  Incidentally, she did not pull down on the reins at all today!  I ended her session when she had gone three times in each direction and responded positively to the bending aids. 

I did not have any helpers today, so I did not do anything with clipping.  I did work with her on bathing though.  I did not tie her in the wash pit area, but I did slip her rope through the tie ring.  She could have pulled away if she wanted to, but she didn't even try.  She was a bit fidgety at first, but after the first few minutes, she settled down and even seemed to enjoy the deep bath she got.  I also used the mist setting on her face.  I held the water up to her face, and encouraged her to relax and put her head down.  Once she did, I turned the water off and dried her off.  Using this method of push and release desensitization, she will soon learn that there is nothing to fear about the water near her face, and will probably learn to enjoy it and play in it. ☺

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP