Gia - session 35 - more trotting added under saddle

I worked with Gia today after Rebecca, my assistant for the day, got her groomed and saddled.  I warmed her up with some free lunging and natural horsemanship.  Then I added the bumpers at her side and asked for walk, trot and canter.  She was pretty obedient for everything.  Once she was ready, Rebecca came in and held the grain while I got on.  We didn't have anyone to hold the leadline today, but Gia has been so good the last two times, that I figured we would be ok.  Rebecca allowed Gia to eat while I hopped on.  I didn't really prep Gia for mounting, but she was unphazed anyway.  Then we repeated most of what we have done the past two times.  I allowed Gia to follow Rebecca for several steps, enjoying her grain treats while carrying me - no reaction.  Then I took over the reins and started steering Gia away from Rebecca, and then allowing her to come back for a grain treat.  She was a little resistant to leave at first, but once she realized she was coming back to the grain, she went willingly.  Then I added a halt transition when she was facing away from Rebecca.  She was a bit resistant and pulling down at first, but that went away after a few times as well.  Next, I took her out to the edge of the round pen and started asking for trot.  I used voice and leg, and the first few times Rebecca had to help with the lunge whip.  She was a little resistant at first, and a little fussier about having to work than she has been the last couple of times we trotted, but after a few times, she was going quite well.  With each of these steps, I like to get three attempts before moving on to the next step.  Depending on the step, it might be three attempts in each direction.  Up until today, I have been allowing her to stop trotting when she felt like it, but today, everything was going so well, that I decided to change that.  I started with asking her to trot for 5 steps in a row without stopping, and once she had gotten her 5 steps, I asked for the down transition, and she got to take a break and have a bite of grain.  If she stopped before the 5 steps, then I would ask her to trot again, and start the counting over at 1.  Once she achieved 5 steps, I asked her for 6 steps, and then 7, all the way up to 10 steps today.  Most of the time, it took a few tries to get her required steps without stopping on her own.  Sometimes it is important to allow the horse to make the decision, and sometimes it is important for the horse to understand that the person gets to make the decision.  It really all depends on the situation.  For the first two rides, I didn't want to push her, in case it would lead to a blow up.  But now that I am comfortable with her degree of relaxation, I can start to ask more of her.  It is still important to remember that she is only three though, so I won't push for too much!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP