Baker training session 19 - Same thing, different day

I worked with Baker for about 30 minutes on Saturday.  One of my students, Rebecca, wanted to learn some of what I do with Baker during his training sessions, and also wanted to help out, so we combined her lesson with Baker's training session.
He is usually a little more cautious when I come to see him with a visitor, so he didn't walk right up to me like he usually does.  Eventually, he will learn that most of the people that he comes in contact with will be a good thing.  Saturday went much like the last few sessions.  Once I got his halter on, we worked on leading towards the tree.  It took much less pressure from the butt rope, and he walked much more willingly.  He did try to bite me once while we were walking.  It was much less aggressive than the last time, but I still reprimanded him sharply for it.  Once he was "tied" at the tree, I started with the flyspray.  He struggled a bit more this time than he has the last few times, but he did eventually relax.  Then, I held him while Rebecca got to groom him.  He really enjoyed how she took her time and fussed over him so much!  We finished the grooming session by picking up and tapping on his feet.  He struggled a little at first, but quickly relaxed and stood still.  Once we were done with all the grooming, I led him away from the tree towards Fiona.  He did try to go a little quickly at first, but after one halt, he remembered to be patient.  I asked him for a couple more halts along the way, and he stood fairly still for them.  Once we reached Fiona, I asked him to put his head down.  He gave me the best response to this yet!  He didn't respond immediately, but he did go much lower than he previously has.
Then I took off his halter and let him go.  Another good session in the books, but I still want him to be quieter when I spray him.  You might be starting to see that, in training horses, progress is sometimes very slow.  It is so important not to rush the horse though, and this requires a LOT of patience!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP