Baker training session 15 - lots of review after a long break!

Well, it has been quite a while since I have been able to write a new post about Baker's training.  I hurt my back about a week and a half ago, so I was limiting myself to only do what was absolutely necessary.  And, unfortunately, working with a young foal is definitely low on the list of priorities.  However, I have been feeling a lot better this week, although, I had a lot of catch up work to take care of first.  So, today was the first day that I was able to get back to work with my little buddy.  I spent about 23 minutes with him today, and we mostly worked on reviewing the stuff that we had done last time.  I did pick him out a few small brushes from my collection so that I could start brushing him down.  I started with that today, and he absolutely loved it!  He stood very quietly while I brushed him all over with a gently curry comb, a hard brush (not too hard), a soft brush and a mane comb.  I flysprayed him today, and for all but one second, he stood completely still.  He got a little startled when I switched sides, but then settled right back down.  I picked up all four feet, picked out the dirt, held them between my legs, and tapped on the bottoms with the hoofpick.  He stood perfectly still for all that as well.  Then we worked on leading.  He did try to lean on me a lot when I was working on leading him today.  I was able to get a few good steps where he didn't try to use me as a crutch.  However, I had no problems leading him away from his mom - he was very comfortable about that.  And he did not try to go too quickly when we walked back towards her.  When I asked him to halt, he did so promptly, and stood still until I asked him to move again.  We finished our session today with a lot of scratching and a few pictures.  I had to get pictures of him today so that I could send in his registration.  I'll include a few from our photo shoot today.  I definitely missed working with him, but I was relieved to find out that he still retained most of what he had learned in  previous sessions.
we found a new scratching spot that Baker really likes!
Do my ears look too big from this angle?
How about this angle?






Comments

  1. He's growing so much. geez. hope to get out there to see him soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing yesterday! He is so much bigger than he was just a week ago!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP