Baker - training session 3 - Desensitization to touching his body

Rainy days are perfect days to work with babies, since they don't require that you get on them in an arena or out in the field, and get soaked in the process.  I worked with Baker today in his stall.  My working student Megan held Fiona still for me today since she had been a little pushy and possessive the last few times (just being a good mom).  Baker was much easier to catch today, and seemed a little more curious and not as frightened today.  I worked with him for about 20 minutes.  I started out just holding him.  Once he relaxed, I would relax my grip, but not completely let him go.  It did not take long for him to remain relaxed with me holding him.  I spent a lot of time rubbing him all over - neck, shoulders, back, belly, rump.  I have started to find the areas that he really likes being rubbed - mostly his neck down near where it connects to his chest.  He did not like me touching his rump at first, but then he realized that it actually felt a little good when I scratched him there.  I let him have a little snack break before moving on to his head and face (you might be able to see his milk mustache in the photo today).
Today was the first day that I really spent a lot of time touching his face.  I attached a leadline to his halter, and wrapped it around his hind end to allow me to hold him in place with one hand while I touched his face with the other.  He really didn't struggle much, so I was able to keep the rope fairly relaxed for most of the session.  I was able to touch all the parts of his face - ears, forehead, nose, nostrils and inside his mouth.  For today I just put my hand on each part until he relaxed, and then I took my hand away.  The only part he really seemed to mind was when I put my finger in his nostril.  I know that might sound gross to some, but there will be times when a veterinarian will need to touch inside a horse's nostril, and it will be easier on everyone involved if the baby has already gotten used to someone touching him there.  The same goes for his mouth, ears, and everywhere else.  Various people will need to touch various parts of his body at some point in time for some reason or another - farriers will have to touch his feet, vets will have to touch his nose, I will have to touch his mouth to put a bit in and his ears when I want to clip him.  It will be a lot better if he accepts these things while he is smaller and can't put up as much of a fight.  Today's session was the best so far and went pretty smoothly overall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gia - session 955 - lesson at CDP

Gia - session 956 and 957 - War Horse schooling and show

Gia - session 947 - lesson at CDP